Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jenga in Jinja

Hello friends!

I'm going to post two blogs today. One from yesterday's events (since we didn't have access to internet) and then today, of course!

So, yesterday we drove out to Jinja...a large town about 2 hours from Kampala. Or, about 4 hours if you were in our car yesterday-----oh yeah, we broke down. Not emotionally, but automotively.

At first I didn't know why we'd be stopping in the middle of nowhere...but smoke pouring out of the engine will definitely give you an idea that there's a problem.

Our schedule was tight, so two hours was a lot. Our time passed quickly though because of the children who came to stand on the road side to watch all the action that was happening. I mean, two white people in the middle of nowhere with a smoking engine beats collecting banana leaves.

I'd been watching two really cute little boys and suddenly the littlest one raised his shirt up---like little kids tend to do. Belly, as I've taken to calling him, had a HUGE growth coming from his...well, Belly. I got Stuart and our guide and asked her to go with me to find his family to talk with them about his medical needs.

His "grandy" as she called herself (for grandmother) said that they didn't have any money to take him to the doctor or for surgery. After our time with them we had arranged a way for them to meet up with our guide--who I told them I was going to leave money with for his medical needs. So, be praying for Belly and for grandy---that they actually will seek the opportunity for this medical treatment and that the doctors will be able to care for sweet little Belly. I'll keep you posted.

A new car and driver and two hours later and we were on site at the first orphanage on our list. We were meeting with a pastor who has three orphanages....and practically no beds for his children to sleep on. The children at each orphanage were as sweet as they could be...the little girls would come over to you, shake your hand and bow before you. Really that was kind of strange and made me feel bad, but I knew they were doing it as a sign of respect.

I'm not quite sure how to wrap up this blog with words. If it didn't take me 8 minutes to post each picture, I'd just let those speak for me. Each of his orphanages we saw today have about 35 kids, so we're not talking about a lot of beds or money. But, it's still something---especially when you add it to the rest of the needs we've seen on this trip.

I'm praying and trusting that God is going to stir people who happen to read this and that everyone who is reading this is moved to give what they feel they can. I've talked about different needs in many posts, so let me make sure I equip you with the way to be a part of the answer to so many children's prayers. Go to our website, www.sweetsleep.org and click on the blue "Donate" button on our home page. You'll go right to a secure site which will take your gift information. Please note your gift is for Africa. You can also mail in your gift to Sweet Sleep, PO Box 157, Brentwood, TN 37024-0157.

Again....I am grateful for you. I look forward to being able to share pictures with you and to also share more of what God has shown us in our time here. Thanks for your faithful support and your prayers for our journey and our work.

See you in the next blog,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment