Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Guard Our Hearts


We don’t watch a lot of television in our house.  Our kids are all under the age of eight, so outside of Dora the Explorer, Chuggington or Animal Planet, we do a fairly good job of being able to not only limit the time, but also keep a tight control on what is being watched.  We do watch a good bit of sports, though, to the point that our three year old knows full well that a game between the Cowboys and Eagles is your classic “good versus evil” match up.

As you know, sports is great television.  No drama and “adult situations or content” like you find on most network television shows.  Commercials, however, are a different story.  We find that some of the commercials during games have become fairly deplorable.  We seem to constantly either turn down the volume or simply turn the channel.  If I can’t find the remote, I’ve even resorted to saying “turn your head, please!” 

Recently I was convicted about this.  If my eight year old son shouldn’t willingly see or hear something raunchy on TV, why is it OK for me to see or hear it?  Philippians 4:8 says, “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.”

There is so much static in our lives – TV, newspaper, books, billboards, radio – that we all have to wade through each day.  Reading this verse reminded me, again, that I need to continually ask myself, “Is this pure?  Is this lovely?  Is this noble and admirable?”  We try to guard our kids hearts and minds, but I need to do a better job about guarding my heart and mind, as well, and make a conscious effort to put it away if it’s not.
-Tim Pereira

No comments:

Post a Comment