Thursday, December 08, 2011

No Need to Worry!


Clear, moonlit nights are the best.  The ones where the stars look so close and vivid you could almost reach out and touch them.  The ones where you can see virtually every valley and mountain on the moon.  The ones where the light from the moon seems as bright as a street light when walking down the driveway.

I don’t often take the time to sit and just think about how small I really am in the grand scheme of the universe that God created.  Francis Chan, pastor of Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley, CA has a video that details just how vast and expansive the universe really is.  When I stop and consider that an all powerful God who created not only the earth, but the moon, the sun, the stars, the galaxy and thousands of other galaxies, loves me more than anything and wants desperately to have a relationship with me, I am stunned.  

One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11, which says “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future”.  Think about that for a second.  The God of the universe, maker of all heaven and earth, has plans for ME.  He is concerned about ME.  He knows me and loves me without condition, so much so that he sent his son to die on the cross for my sins so that I could have a way to be with Him in eternity.

Why then do I worry about the trivial day to day things that tend to make me frustrated or upset?  Why do I worry about where I will be five or ten years from now?  Sure, it’s okay to make plans and to be aware of daily responsibilities – we all are tasked with that – but it’s the worrying, fretting and anxiousness that I often feel that I need to lay down at the feet of Christ.  God is sovereign and in control.  Nothing happens anywhere, anytime that He does not know about or allow.  Whatever I may be worrying about at any given time is no match for the sovereign maker of the universe.  

So, the next time you find yourself looking into the night sky, looking for the Big Dipper or noticing how close Venus looks, think about this:  the maker of all of this loves you and cares for you.  He holds you in his hands and has plans for you.  No need to worry!

- Tim Pereira

No comments:

Post a Comment