Friday, December 30, 2011

"Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep"



"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep..." Did you ever pray that little prayer as a child, or hear a child pray it? I have heard that prayer my whole life and it's never really impacted me...but as I think about it tonight, it becomes very meaningful. Today 25 discarded children received brand new beds and bedding, and for maybe the first time in their lives they will lay down and sleep sweetly because of the love of God in the hearts of so many people that made this moment a reality. I had the pleasure today of presenting some boys with their beds. The faces of those children when they walked into their room was God given; one young man in particular, John, sat down on his bed with me and began to move closer and closer to me until he was holding my hand. As I sat and told him and the other boys that God loved them and cared for them, I was filled with joy and thanksgiving that God had allowed me to play a small part in his plan for these precious souls. Not all of us are called to a mission field, not all of us have the means to provide for others, but we all can pray. And as these children pray tonight they'll pray from a brand new bed provided by the mercy of God and the special people who heard from God about this work. Thank you to each one of you who answered the call to help "one of the least of these" and give them a chance to lay down to a very sweet sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment