Thursday, December 29, 2011

Orphans, Beds & Bananas


Buna ziua everyone...that means hello for all of you English speakers! This is Lannette. As I sit here tonight in a room with electricity, plumbing, and a warm, comfortable bed, I can't help but think about the time in my life that I took all of those things for granted. I didn't think about what a luxury it was to have a pantry stocked with food, a faucet that provides clean water to drink, power to cool or warm my house, and a safe, warm bed to rest each and every night. I am also reminded of the day that God "knocked me over the head" with the reality that most of the world doesn't share in the luxuries that I was so selfishly taking for granted. I vividly remember God laying a burden on my heart for the orphans of the world. He wanted me to stop paying "lip-service" to the truth's taught in James 1:27..."Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world." He wanted me to take action! He wanted me to GO and the place He called me to was Moldova...a place I didn't even know existed 3 years ago.







Since that time, my life has been forever changed by the mission trips I have had the great privilege of being a part of each year. I can't help but always think about all of the thousands and thousands of children around the world who do not have the opportunity to have a safe, comfortable bed to rest in or any of those basic comforts that I took for granted for all of those years. It's something that I strive to teach my children and the children I work with at our church to always be sensitive to...

As I was preparing to blog tonight, a whirlwind of feelings and emotions were swirling about in my head...exhaustion (my body is still trying to adjust to the time change and I had so many responsibilities to complete before I go to bed tonight)...happiness ( I have met so many new friends and had so many wonderful experiences already)...about being asked to sing on camera...(side note: those of you who know me are aware that I only sing for preschool audiences who think that there teacher is the best singer in the whole wide world! LOL)...but ABOVE ALL OF THESE...IS THE OVERWHELMING FEELING OF LOVE that surrounds you when you are following God's plan for your life! My heart is filled with love for these kids. My goal is to not only help provide the comforts of a new bed but also to bring the light of Christ to an otherwise dark place. As my prayer partner so sweetly reminded me in her letter to me this morning of the words found in Daniel 2:20-22..."Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons; He sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; He knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells in Him."



Today we made our first visit to Soroca. We were able to meet the director and the children at the orphanage in Visoca. We were able to play an interactive game with the kids, sing Christmas carols, discuss the true meaning of Christmas, and share a sweet snack...BANANAS! You could see the excitement in the children's eyes and the anticipation of special surprises that are coming tomorrow. I look forward to the opportunities we have over the next few days to share the light of God's love with these precious children. I ask you to join our team in prayer as we continue this great adventure God has for our team! I also ask you to search your heart. If you feel God tugging on your heart to take action on His perfect plan for your life, don't be afraid to answer the call! Believe me...you won't regret it!


In Him,
Lannette Burlingame

No comments:

Post a Comment