Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dreams do come true!


I have had a day that I shall never forget for as long as I live. Today began the journey of 3 years of prayers coming to fruition. As I had mentioned in a previous post, this is my fourth trip to Uganda, and ever since my first trip I had prayed for what the Lord was requiring of me to do next. On the plane ride home following that first journey, God gave me the seedlings for what would become on this very day Fields of Dreams.

My first year serving with Sweet Sleep we worked at two separate orphanages, Caring Heart, and Africa Greater Life. It was obvious at these orphanages that there was a great passion for soccer with the children, and it was also obvious that there was also a great need for safe fields, soccer equipment, and instruction in sportsmanship and basic skills. And so, for the past three years and now four trips with Sweet Sleep back to the Pearl of Africa, God has forged a way for this vision to become a reality. 

While the rest of our team were able to enjoy a morning of bungee jumping, a boat ride to the birth of the Nile, and a chance to feed wild monkeys, I got to experience a new kind of joy. I was able to witness the boys and girls of four schools compete in soccer and netball, and take great pride in their uniforms and team spirit. I was able to witness the birth of a dream that so many people have helped build over the past 3 years. I was able to witness the hard work and dedication of Jonathan Ssebambulide, the husband of Josephine who is the Sweet Sleep National Director here in Uganda. I was able to witness children have the opportunity to simply be children, and become lost in the joy of athletic competition. 

What made this day even more special is that 3 out of the 4 schools that competed were previous recipients of the efforts of Sweet Sleep teams that I was blessed to be a part of. What a joy to see so many children that I have grown to love playing, dancing and laughing on the same campus. The children of Africa Greater Life, Blessed Hope Champions Academy, New Kabaale Busega, and our host campus Vision for Africa played with great skill and pride giving their all during the entirety of the day. The community of Mokuno, where Vision for Africa is located, came out in full force to celebrate and cheer on these talented children. 

It has been such a blessing to represent Sweet Sleep during these past four trips to Uganda, and I shall be forever grateful for helping plant the seeds for Fields of Dreams. Jonathan is now on full-time staff, and working with all of his might to provide hope to the orphaned and vulnerable children of Uganda through the vehicles of soccer and education. Today was a day of new beginnings, and I am excited to witness how God will use Fields of Dreams in the future and continue to use Sweet Sleep as well to bless, empower and uplift the precious children of Uganda. 

Mike Warneke

No comments:

Post a Comment